20 July 2008

120/80.

I was pretty lame this weekend. I had plans, but not so unlike me, I cancelled. Instead, I stayed in town, caught up on some much-needed sleep, and studied for my vital signs skills test tomorrow. Funny how things change: Two years ago, my weekends meant non-stop partying, tequila binges, and countless rounds of beer pong. And, for the most part, the idea now sounds rather unappealing. I guess this is growing up. [Note: I did say "for the most part" because, believe me, I still have those days when I'd kill for a margarita, extra shots.]

My family and friends may hate me before I've ever finished nursing school. For my test tomorrow, I'll have to demonstrate my competency with checking radial pulse, respiratory rate, and blood pressure. So for the past week or so, I've been cutting off circulation practicing on everyone around me. I've decided, I hate checking blood pressure. And I hate stethoscopes. And I think, even moreso, I'm going to hate having to perform in front of an audience of teachers [aka nurses] and forty peers. It will be worth it. This new catch-phrase of mine, I think, is the one thing that will get me through May 2009. Maybe I should consider having it tattooed.

-----
And all these lines fall short of what I had in mind,
A failed attempt to capsulize a feeling.
So I just try. Fail and try and try again.
Someday, I swear I'm going to get it
'Cause I'm convinced that giving in is the worst thing there is.


"Mistakes We Knew We Were Making" - Straylight Run

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great motto. I may adopt it. ;)

Miss Mar said...

I swear I read the first paragraph and thought, "that is so me".