13 October 2008

"Oh, look now, there you go with hope again."

I needed a break. I needed to clear my head. So I went to Dallas for the weekend and stayed with a couple friends. I love the city, but visiting serves as just another reminder of how ready I am to move there. Each time, the drive home seems a little longer and my heart sinks a little lower---I'm pathetic, really. Eh, seven months... but who's counting?


It was an interesting weekend:

-I learned that, apparently, it isn't safe to text while in four lanes of rush hour traffic. You might find yourself barricaded in a center lane, dodging bumpers, and ramping the median for a last-minute exit... Or so I've heard.

-I discovered the heavenlyness that is Cuban cuisine. We went out with a few friends Saturday night to La Cubanita, uptown on McKinney Avenue. The weather was amazing, and we scored a table out on the patio---my favorite. I had two Mojitos and several glasses of Mango Sangria, ordered the Gulf Red Snapper---and fell in love. If you're ever in the Dallas area, I recommend 'em... especially the drinks. But go easy on the drinks. Trust me.

-I learned to play was schooled in my first game of disc golf. Until a few months ago, I didn't know such existed, but apparently, it's a pretty serious sport, man. Aside from the disc golf course we found, there are, at least, eight other courses around Dallas, alone. And there's even a Professional Disc Golf Association? (I've obviously been hiding beneath a rock.) Yeah, it's addicting. I recommend it, too.

-And, as I was leaving town, I realized that I should pay more attention. I walk around, so completely consumed with playing the victim that I'm fucking oblivious to the rest of the world. In a few months, I haven't been able to feel anything for anyone else---anything, at all. And if I were a decent person, I'd have made things clearer and spared his feelings. But I didn't. :/


It's back to reality (and rural life). I had a ten-hour clinical today, and I've got an exam in maternal nursing tomorrow. Someone, shoot me.


I tell my love to wreck it all,
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall.
// Skinny Love; Bon Iver

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there's something (a sport) called disc golf. o.O I learn something new every day!

a wishful thinker said...

Apparently, it's been around since the early 1900s? Yeah, wow.

Paige Jennifer said...

At least you learned something, right? God I hate when THAT'S the silver lining.

But learning the lesson to NOT text on a highway, regardless of the time of day? That's a solid lesson. I'm still in the beginning stages of that one.